How to delete unnecessary files using Disk Cleanup
Posted by - NA - on 18/03/2009 11:45
Disk Cleanup helps free up space on your hard drive. Disk Cleanup searches your drive, and then shows you temporary files, Internet cache files, and unnecessary program files that you can safely delete. You can direct Disk Cleanup to delete some or all of those files. |
To delete unnecessary files using Disk Cleanup:
- Open the Disk Cleanup by clicking Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup will then calculate how much space you will be able to free on your hard drive.
- Select the files by clicking the check box that you would like to delete (e.g. Downloaded Program Files and Temporary Internet Files) and click OK (see below).
- Click Yes to confirm performing these actions.
To read the description of the particular program file, click the appropriate file and the file description is displayed at the bottom. If you want view the files on the particular program file (e.g. Downloaded Program Files and Temporary Internet Files), click View Files.
- Click More Options tab to free up more space on Windows components, installed programs or System Restore. Click Clean up (see below).
Windows components is selected:
- In the "Windows Components Wizard" window, select the component you would like to remove and click Next. Click Details if you want to view the details of the particular component.
- Click Finish.
- Your computer needs to restart, click either Yes or No. Do not restart your computer immediately if you want to continue removing all unnecessary program files.
Installed programs is selected:
- Click the particular installed program you would like to remove and click Remove.
- Click Next to continue with the removal.
- Click Yes to confirm with the removal of these files.
- Click Finish to restart immediately. Do not restart your computer immediately if you want to continue removing all unnecessary program files.
System Restore is selected:
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion of most recent restore point.
- Click OK and restart your computer for the changes of settings to take effect.